Translate

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Tale of the Very Long Hard Day

 
                "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." Psalm 147:3


As I left work today, my heart was full of pain. It was weeping for several of my students.  As a young girl, my literary heroines were Anne Shirley and Laura Ingles-Wilder.  They made teaching look so romantic.  Of course they all had the difficult students, but in the end everything turned out perfect (I know it's fiction). I have been waiting for that dream to come true.  Today I changed my mind.

What did I learn today? Teaching is messy.  It's been messy and hard since day one, but I thought it would get better over time. If all my students were robots, teaching would be the easiest job in the world.  A robot doesn't have to deal with a crazy home life, a learning or emotional disability, or bullies.  A robot isn't alive.  Life is what gets in the way of teaching and learning.  Some days I feel like I deal more with the kids' emotions than the actual curriculum I am suppose to teach. A mentor teacher once told me that you are not just a teacher but also a counselor.  You have to figure out each student's personality and find the best way to reach them. 

The conclusion I came to, as I sat in the parking lot on the verge of tears, is that I'm glad teaching is messy.  I don't think I would want it any other way.  Every one of my students has something special to offer. They are each uniquely made. I am so honored to be a part of their messy lives. 


1 comment: